Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Minnesota Unemployment Insurance kick in the balls

It took fiance about 3 months to go through all the steps necessary for her to get unemployment. She went through North Dakota, then Minnesota. It was a bitch of a system, and I wasn't looking forward to it. Two months after leaving my job because my fiance got a job in the cities, I finally heard from MN unemployment.

Minnesota determined me ineligible for unemployment last night because I didn’t move with my spouse. I called today to talk to them.

Me: Hi, I’m calling about my ineligibility determination.
Her: How can I help you?
Me: First off, I just wanted to check on the part that says pending issues for my second job.
Her: (looking) Well, it appears that that is no longer a pending issue. It has been resolved. It appears you are still working there.
Me: I’m not.
Her: Oh.
Me: That department no longer offers classes, so there’s nothing to teach.
Her: …
Me: So.
Her: …
Me: Did it affect anything?
Her: No.
Me: So despite the fact that that department made cutbacks and is no longer running doesn’t affect things?
Her: No.
Me: OK, let’s talk about the rest of it. I was denied because I’m not married to my fiance?
Her: Yes.
Me: Does it matter that we will be married in 5 weeks?
Her: No. Unfortunately not. The legislature was quite clear on that point.
Me: Or that we’ve been living together for almost 3 years?
Her: Sorry. 
Me: But if we were married, it'd be a different story. 
Her: In most cases. Yes.
Me: Is this how gay people feel?
Her: …
Me: OK, so your saying that because I’m not married yet to the person I’ve been living with and will be marrying in five weeks, and that my second job was cut, which in large part necessitated our move to make enough to sustain ourselves on, I am ineligible.
Her: Well, are you working since then?
Me: I’ve judged some high school debates, but nothing full time or permanent.
Her:  You would have to have another job.
Me: (wishing I said, why would I need unemployment then?) OK, so there’s nothing I can do?
Her: You can appeal to find out for sure.
Me: …
Her: …
Me: …
Her: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: I guess not.

2 comments:

  1. Not that it is totally the case, but 'yes' that is how gay couples feel. Just one little blip in the rights area that if you do not have that "sacred" marriage license, then oops, too bad. AND is precisely the reason civil unions just don't cut it is because all these (hundreds) of little things would not necessarily be included in a civil union.

    Thinking of you. Keep the faith.

    bh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having a piece about marriage equality in the wedding ceremony. This sort of shit must not stand.

    ReplyDelete