Thursday, November 3, 2011

This is how bat-shit insane academic culture is


Dean: I’d like to thank you for coming to this meeting to try to clear up some issues we’ve been having. We have determined that your counterpart in math had schitzophrenia, which is why she quit, relieving us of all responsibility to look at our own system and make adjustments to help make this learning center a great tool for students. The other Math person that quit two weeks prior, also after less than a month on the job, does in no way make this a pattern that we should look at to find workable solutions. 

Again, thank you both for coming. I understand that the vague job responsibilities for both of you has been vague and overlapping, which would certainly lead to issues if it weren't for our wonderful open culture. I want you both to feel open and free to discuss anything in this meeting.

Staff member: Well, that being the case, I would like to suggest that there are several ways to improve the learning center.

Dean: What? I’m sorry, It appears you just don’t understand our culture here. There are underpinings to this learning center that you just don’t know.

Staff member: OK. Well. I’d like to suggest that I’ve been teaching students for 8 years now, and while I appreciate input, I feel that every time I discuss what’s going on at the center, I am told I’m doing it wrong.

Faculty member: That’s my job. I’m here to advise you. There are things you just don’t understand. We’ve been working on this center for a whole year, and without that vision, you shouldn’t really speak up.

Staff member: Understood.

(continue for an hour, end meeting, get email to meet with dean two days later)

Dean: You have an edge to you. You really have to tone down that edge and go back to the milk and cookies person you are. I knew you had an edge. I knew it.

Staff member: I was under the understanding that we were to speak openly and make suggestions.

Dean: There’s that edge again. I’d like you to stop talking to anyone else, including your coworkers, about anything work related.

Staff member: I am really learning to live with the condescension. I love this job and enjoy working with the students to make them better writers.

Dean: But are you working with the students too much? They should not be coming to you so often for help.

Staff member: Isn’t that the purpose of the center, to help students become better writers?

Dean: You just don’t understand our culture.

1 comment: