Thursday, September 15, 2011

Life in a 1970s crack den squatter's house

It's been a week since we moved to Plymouth. My days are filled with boxes. Each one a bit of a surprise with things we may not have seen for 9 months. We're shedding clothes for donations and have 4 large boxes ready for a garage sale. I've been unpacking for a week now and the place still looks like this:

We've cooked one meal so far in the apartment. Tacos.
Fiance said two people have told her to get me blogging again.
Me: But, there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about. Plus I'm rather happy.
Fiance: I guess it must be hard to blog when you're happy.
Me: You don't understand.
There are a pile of things to worry about still. The house still hasn't sold. I'm still jobless. I can't rent the house, or the bank will want their money right away. I can't go much lower in price or I'll be paying to sell it. My racist, horrible neighbor is calling my realtor to complain about a sump pump that I've never touched ever but now it's a problem where it drains. She also seems to be complaining about the leaves falling on her lawn.
If I wanted to get easily metaphorical, I'd make some comparison to these life problems and the boxes that surround me and invade my dreams. They are still there. I unpack them, but they don't go away.
But that's just freshman creative non-fiction. Not gonna do it.
This week is not a week for worrying about the financial burden of the house in Fargo, the debts we've piled up from a year of unemployment, the fear that I won't find something soon or be eligible for unemployment. This week is for taking things one box at a time, putting the apartment in order, slowly and thoroughly, sending out emails to job contacts, enjoying the indoor pool at the apartment building, enjoying the sudden fall temperatures where you can leave a window open rather than run the air conditioner.
This week is a week for enjoying the fact that this business exists along the I94 corridor on the way to the Cities. The fourth-grader in me sheds a tear of joy each time he sees this.

To paraphrase Rogue Lieutenant's blog tag - this week is a week to enjoy your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment