Thursday, October 20, 2011

The tipping for take out conundrum

After a six and a half hour drive, we made it to Omaha. Bellevue to be specific. The drive was rather uneventful other than the semi we passed that was crumpled like a can.
We got to the hotel, and were happy to see a Famous Daves just across the street. I called to order take out, at 9:30, and they were closed. They close at 9 here for the winter.
Then Fiance realized she left a bag at home, which contained her glasses and contact stuff as well as other things.
"That's OK, hon, I'll go find a Walmart or drug store or something." I like being a hero.
So I got back into the car, drove down the little side street we are on next to Cornhusker Road. I took a left, thinking there must be stuff on this road since it's a highway exit. After five miles of nothing but streetlights and nothing but a Casey's gas station, I turned around and headed the other way. Wouldn't you know it, but pretty much a few blocks from where I began in the other direction, I found a Walmart.
I parked in the lot nearest the pharmacy door, only to find they were painting that side of the building and I had to walk to the other door by the grocery. I picked up the needed items and got to the cashier. I then made the mistake of trying to get some smokes. She asked for my ID, and all I had was my snipped ND license and the paperwork for the MN license that still hasn't arrived two weeks later. She didn't know if she could accept these forms of ID. I said to forget it then. Then she called the manager over, and he approved it.
The night wasn't done yet. Across from the Walmart was a Buffalo Wild Wings. I figured I could get some take out from there. I went in and the place was pretty empty. The manager welcomed me and asked what I wanted. Then he wandered off. Then a waitress asked me, said she had to get a card, then she wandered off. Then the manager came back, I ordered, and here comes the part where I have the conversation in my head every time I get take out and have to use a card.
"There's a tip line. Do I write in a tip? Isn't the point of take out so you don't pay for delivery? Why is there a tip line? Tipping is usually for good service, but our transaction hasn't finished, so how do I know if the food or service will be good? If I don't tip, will they spit in my food? I wonder how much snot or mucus I've eaten over the years from angry servers. If I do tip, and the food is horrible, or the service sucks, I'll feel ripped off. Aargh!"
I usually end up tipping 2 bucks or 10 percent. I don't know why, or what the expectations are.
I sit down and wait for the food, which he said would be 10 minutes. It took about 25. There weren't many people there, and I saw a lot of people come in, perhaps to work or pick up checks, I don't know. After a while, I went up to the empty counter and stood there, impotently, for a few minutes, as no one was there and no one was minding the store.
Then some guy who obviously was a kitchen worker came in, saw me, and a minute later, he buzzed the coaster thing I was holding and gave me my bag of food. I had been completely forgotten about.
I took it back to the hotel, where the fiancé ate her sandwich, and I felt horrible about how long it took. I feel even worse as she throws up in the bathroom. Not sure if it's from the chicken sandwich that she said was cooked, but cold, or from her emotions about why we are here - to see off her best friend and maid of honor who will miss our wedding due to the war in Afghanistan - we don't know. But it sure doesn't help matters.
I can't wait to log on to the buffalo wild wings site to fill out the survey, though.

3 comments:

  1. Never tip on take out - the restaurant's getting paid and not using up time serving you at the table...it's got to be a better deal for the restaurant, so no tip! Save it for the odd occasion that you get good service somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALWAYS TIP on take out, you were receiving a service were you not? Somebody had to take the time to take that order, send it into the kitchen, and put together the order correctly for you to carry it out. In response to the previous post- better deal for the restaurant, do you not think that all the the takeout boxes, bags, napkins, ect., cost the establishment money?

      Delete
    2. As the story above states, I was receiving REALLY BAD service, but because you have to pay first, you end up tipping for crappy service and being forgotten about and cold food because it sat on a counter somewhere.

      Secondly, none of the stuff you said is anything different than fast food.

      Delete