Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Open letter to vent frustration



(The following open letter is written in the voice of my fiance as she adjusts to the politics of working on a college campus. It is a letter to the dean that will never be sent, even with the more confrontational bits taken out. It’s amazing how much shit we must eat to keep a job that continually changes the rules and gives you conflicting directions. Background: she was hired to run the writing center, but it is increasingly clear that she is only to do what she is told and take blame for any problems that arise from that.)

It was good to meet with you this morning. I have a few follow ups.

1. Earlier, you indicated that the faculty adviser would be advising me for only this semester, and that the writing center would become my responsibility. However, whenever said adviser is around, you say the opposite. Not sure which is true.

2. I’m having difficulty reconciling the job duties as described to me upon hiring and in my job description and the reality that is continually presented.

Since I began at the writing center, I have been anxious to help develop it into a valuable resource for students and the college. In practice, it has been difficult to do anything to move the center forward. I am greatly enjoying working with students, which continues to be the best part of the day. Now that I know I won’t be adjuncting this semester as you promised earlier, leaving me thousands short of what I expected when I moved here, I am holding on to this student contact like oxygen. The students seem to be very thankful for the help as well as evidenced by a very high return rate. I also am continuing to strengthen relationships with the learning center.

However, I could do so much more. I would like to meet with classes to promote the writing center. I would like to develop strong ties with TRIO and Veterans Services to obtain referrals. Every time I try to do something to increase awareness, I am cut short by the adviser who says I'm doing it wrong. Then I am held responsible for the low student turnout. 

My adviser said she will be the face of the writing center, and that I am just to help students. Since I don’t understand such things, I asked my fiancee, who has been in marketing for five years.

Him: “So she’s the face of the writing center?”

Me: “Apparently.”

Him: “She goes around to talk to classes, not you?”

Me: “Right.”

Him: “But she’s never at the writing center?”

Me: “Correct.”

Him: “That’s incredibly stupid marketing.”

I was unaware until this morning that I also have more experience than my advisor along with more training and education. This knowledge and experience is not being used to full potential. While I appreciate her input into the writing center as it relates to the college, I don’t know how helpful or cost effective it is to have her spend less than one hour a week on writing center related issues, which invariably result in my having to stop any plans to increase awareness.

I understand the mission of the writing center, and I want to help it become what you want it to be; however, I feel the main message I gleaned from this morning is that I cannot do anything without approval and that I should just let things transpire as they will. Meanwhile, I will be held responsible if the writing center doesn’t grow as much as we both desire.

I write this in the hopes that you will allow me to dig in and begin making the writing center a place the students need and use regularly.

Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment