Friday, January 6, 2012

Honeymoon part 4


On Saturday, we woke and had our free breakfast, packed, and checked out to head to the next hotel. The doorman hailed a cab for us, asked where we were going. We said The Waldorf Astoria. His eyes lit up. “Woah, nice!”

A short $5 cab ride later, we were at the Waldorf drop off spot inside. We left the bags with the doorman down there and made our way through a series of hallways to the front desk. Check in was a breeze, even at noon. The clerk upgraded us for the honeymoon and found us a ready to go room on the 25th floor and said the bags would be up in 15 minutes.

We went immediately from the front desk to the room to wait for the bags. Oh, My, God, this room was nice! So nice that we barely left it for the next two days, so this will be my shortest entry. The bed was made of unicorn hair and angel feathers. The television was bigger than both of ours put together.

The only hiccup was the bags took more than an hour to arrive. When we called down to see what was going on, they said we weren’t in the room when they came by, which I don’t see how that’s possible, but whatever.

The bags arrived, and we took a short tour of the hotel. The starlight room, the grand ballroom, the gift shop where ordinary tweezers cost $22. I saw more fur coats than could be supplied by French Canadian traders. 




Wife ordered a movie on the television, The Big Year, which was just ordinary enough to be a nice diversion. I was ordered to go find food at the sushi place near Rockefeller center. As I headed there, a couple blocks away, I saw a bunch of people looking up at a building behind me. I turned and saw this year's version of this thing begin. 



Unfortunately, the sushi place was closed for Christmas Eve. So I headed back to the hotel, and came across another sushi place. Yay! I got what seemed good, but turned out to be OK sushi. By the time I got back to the room, an hour after I left, Wife was sure I had been killed. On the plus side, the hotel had sent us a complimentary bottle of in-house champagne to enjoy on our honeymoon.

Other things we did: Tried to find the Marilyn Monroe subway vent, but while it was on our map, there was no visible marking on the street. Ate Christmas brunch at Oscars, which was not good. Watched the Christmas episode of Doctor Who on BBC America, when it aired!

One last anecdote. Life among the 1% for these two days was a strange trip. Wife would talk to cleaning people like there were human, and you could tell hardly anyone ever does that. But here’s the real story of what happened to me.

I came back with some food on Sunday, and I waited for the elevator with another guy. We got on and two more people got on as well. They pushed floor 23. And I swear this is what went through my head as I pushed the button for 25.

“Huh, only floor 23.”

I became a douchebag for being two floors higher through no fault of my own. What the hell! But then I got out-douchebagged, since the first guy that got on looked at the buttons, and as the doors shut, he said “Oh, this one doesn’t go to floor 31.”

He rode up to my floor and took the elevator back down.

Ugh.

On Monday, after packing and repacking to make sure our bags were both under 50 pounds for the flight, we took the supershuttle to the airport through a lot of backstreets while wife chatted with another passenger, used our groupon coupons for the Delta Sky Lounge where they had free internet and free drinks, and made our way back to the cities. I had feared the day after Christmas for the reputed congestion at airports, but it was much better than I had imagined.  At this point, we were near the end of our budget, and worried we would have to spend 70 bucks for a taxi to Plymouth. This was the only part of the trip Wife hadn’t planned, because in the back of her mind, we weren’t going to get this far. This day would never come. However, we came across a supershuttle booth at the airport, and got home for $40. This time I remembered my bag.

Wife has been watching 30-Rock ever since, dreaming of the day we will go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment