Sunday, January 1, 2012

Honeymoon in New York, Part 2


Checked in after so much hassle, Wife and I finally got into the room. I checked for bedbugs. She changed into her PJs and started directing me to put our clothes into the drawers since we would be here for 5 nights. Then she fell asleep.

I decided to take a stroll around the immediate neighborhood to get my bearings. Central Park was 2 blocks away to the north, Times square about 10 blocks to the south. David Hyde Pierce was doing a play on the same block. All in all, it looked promising. I got some food from a deli and headed back to the room for the night. This was going to be all right.

On Tuesday, Wife woke at about noon, and only because we had to get going to see the Rockettes. It was her dream since she was a small girl to see them. I was indifferent to the whole thing. We walked to Radio City Music Hall, about 5 blocks, and went in.





The place was amazing to see all decked out for the holiday and designed for another era. The men's bathroom had a lounge area and old nooks for phones. The stage was impressive from our spot in the second mezzanine, which turned out to be better than I imagine the floor would be since you can see more of the stage and the patterns they create from above.

I didn’t know what to expect, and have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. The Rockettes certainly earn their reputation. I was dragged to the Russian Ballet a year or two ago in Fargo for the Nutcracker, and I have to say this was miles above that experience. They performed songs and dances in near Busby Berkely precision, one after another. The only drawback was a few portions of the program used 3D glasses, which are annoying in general, but seem particularly weird when you are at a live show for criminy sake.

When the show was done, we headed a block over to see the Rockefeller Center  tree. 



As we were already there, and Wife knowing my love of going to the top of tall things, she overcame her fear of heights for us to go to the Top of the Rock, my absolute favorite thing of the whole trip.

Wife let me wander around while she sat safely away from the edge of the building. New York is breathtaking at night.




Night settled in early, near the shortest day of the year. We headed over to Times Square to check it out. It turned out to be Wife’s favorite spot to just sit and watch once the first feeling of panic from so many people and lights calms down.   


We nearly got tickets to go see a show that night, but decided against another commitment and instead went back to the hotel. We went to a shoe store to get Wife some walking shoes, Borns, for the rest of the trip. Then across the street to Carnegie Deli. 


Food in New York is pricey, but Carnegie Deli will charge you 25 bucks for a Ruben and give you a heart attack in a pie tin. Piled in this pie tin, on top of two thin slices of bread, was several pounds of corned beef, a thin layer of sauerkraut, and a thick shield of melted cheese. The two of us attacked it, bite after delicious, sinful bite, but still left a third for the trash, our hotel having no mini-fridge for leftovers. We also got a $10 slice of cheesecake that made me want to get it pregnant.

Day four:
Wife at this point was showing a pattern of extreme relaxation. Her ability to stay in bed until afternoon was impressive, but with the short daylight hours available, I was anxious to get going for another day in New York. We left the hotel at about 3, me worrying that the Museum of Natural History would only be open until 5:30. Not a block away from the hotel, Wife said her heels were getting cut to shreds by her new shoes. She stopped and pulled off a shoe.

Me: How the hell? We aren’t even a block away!

Her: I know. I’m sorry.

Me: Would it help to have more socks?

Her: I think so.

Me: Take mine.

I pulled off my shoes and socks and handed them to her. It seemed to help, and I didn't mind going hippie fashion all day. We hopped on the subway and got to the Museum at 3:30. We discovered very different levels of interest in the museum. I wanted to see the space stuff, she wanted to look at dioramas of dead birds. We went through her bits first, and she left me to check out the space part while she did the gift shop. 


We went back to the subway, and found that Wife had lost her metrocard along the way. So between me losing my bag, her shoes, and the card, we were $200 over budget. Sigh.

We left at closing, had a hot dog, and went to Times Square. Bought two tickets at 40 percent off to Avenue Q for that evening. The musical is full of puppet characters singing and learning about life post-college, and it’s a blast. Personal favorite song: Everyone’s A Little Racist.


After   the musical, we were standing outside ready to walk to the nearby subway when a freak rainstorm came roaring down the street. Umbrellas were comically turned inside out, people scampered for cover. Wife begged to take a taxi, but I have a fear of cars in the city after the supershuttle I would not be swayed from. The nearest subway station was just half a block away, and we scampered to it after the wind died a bit.

We got through the gate only to realize the trains were going the wrong way. The only way to get to the northbound train was to exit, go back to the street, and walk another half block in the rain. We got there and found our “unlimited” metro cards wouldn’t work since we just used them on the other side. I was livid at having to buy two more single ride passes, not knowing how long it would be until our own cards would work again, but we made it back to the hotel. Wife took off her shoes and bloody socks and I felt like a complete creep for pushing us around the city with about quarter size holes in the back of her feet.

I went and got a Carnegie Deli brisket meal because I never want my body to forget how much I hate it. We ate like wild dogs and slept like housecats.

Thus ends part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment