Monday, January 2, 2012

Honeymoon in New York, Part 3


Thursday was mostly a recovery day for us. Wife had to rest her feet so she could go to the dinner and show reservations we had at Carolines comedy club. I read book 2 of the Hunger Games to her until she fell asleep. I then went for a walk while it was still daylight. I decided to head to Central Park since it didn’t appear that a carriage ride would survive the “to do” list cuts with our ever shrinking budget, and Wife’s feet were not going to be happy walking in the park.

Granted, it was December, and nothing’s green in December, but I was rather disappointed in Central park. I walked through about half of it, past a carousel, a large green area, and so on. Perhaps it’s because I come from a place where green spaces aren’t such a novelty, but Central Park was a lot like any other park, except for the old bridges all over. But I had my i-pod shuffle and listened to The Nerdist guys interview JJ Abrams, so it was a nice stroll. I walked up to the Museum of Natural History, ate a hot dog, and hopped back on the subway to get back to the hotel.

We got to Carolines well before we needed to, so we spent more time gazing at Times Square and visited the M&M store, where we loaded up on candy and some Christmas gifts. At Carolines, we ate a mediocre meal and could hear the muffled noises from the showroom that could only be Gilbert Godfrey. He was the 8 p.m. show. This was also the first place we went to where there was a bathroom attendant. I do not know what to do with a bathroom attendant. He turned on the water, pushed the soap pump, and handed me a paper towel. I felt awkward, and wondered why this position still existed, as I have never thought, if only there were someone here to pump the soap for me, what a bother! I immediately warned wife about the situation, as she would surely feel equally out of place. Here’s her recap of her encounter. Just imagine someone speaking louder than usual.

Wife: Hi!

Attendant: Good evening.

Wife: I am a bathroom attendant virgin! I don’t know what to do!

Attendant: OK.

Wife: I will now run away!

After a delay, where we watched Gilbert Godfrey take photos with people and sign autographs, we were let into our VIP seats, a long bench with a table where we could both sit to face the stage. There was a table for 8 between us and the microphone, but I knew our placement would make Wife nervous. I have always wanted to go to a comedy show in New York, but Wife is deathly afraid of having to talk to the comic or getting picked on. We were at “the Chosen Ones” show, a Jewish line up for the holiday season.

The night was hosted by Rich Vos


And included Harrison Greenbaum

Myq Kaplan

Bonnie McFarlane

And Adam Newman


And another one that wasn’t on the bill. Every time a new comedian came up, I feared they would look straight ahead and start asking me or Wife questions. This was a potential catastrophe. However, it didn’t happen.

Instead, when Bonnie McFarlane was doing some crowd work to lead into a bit, she asked the table behind us “Do you have any secret fetishes?”

I turned to look back.

“Yes!”

The yes did not come from behind me. I looked at Wife in terror. I looked at the comedian. I looked back at wife. The comedian indicated she wasn’t talking to Wife. Wife put her hands on her mouth and turned beet red “Oh my god!” The comedian rolled with it.

Comedian: What is it?

Me: I would like to know as well.

Wife: We’ve been married for four days! I’m sorry!

We got a round of applause, which was nice. The comedian went into her bit and we all recovered from the awkward. Over the next 4 days, Wife would bring it up again and again. “I’m so embarrassed. I don’t even know if I have a fetish. I just assume everyone has one. Oh god!”

Friday was our day to explore the southern part of Manhattan. The plan was to go to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty, and make our way north to Little Italy and Chinatown. Wife did her sleeping in thing, and we left the hotel at 4 to start our day. Two subway trains later, we got out at Battery Park just as the sun dipped below the horizon and the last tour boat came in. It was dark, but there were a lot of people leaving the park. We decided to walk to the water by the boat to sit and take pictures.

It was dark, and as we walked I could hear a rustling in the leaves to our left.

Me: Whoa! Was that a squirrel?

Wife: Yes, keep moving.

We got to a bench, and were much more alone now. I took out the camera and tried to steady it enough for a night shot. More rustling.

Wife: Holy shit, lift your feet! Now!

Me: What?

Wife: That was a rat. A rat was there. A rat. There. That was. Let’s go! Eeeuahughfaha.

Me: OK.

We walked briskly through the park to find some solace from the rats. Wife had a knack for seeing them everywhere, while I was always a beat too late when she pointed and yelled. I stood in the middle of a large cement area thinking it might be safe and took this picture.


Wife said a rat came within 3 inches of my foot while I took it.

Here’s her recap of the scene:

“In my entire life, I've seen 3 rats.  2 near garbage sacks in the North End of Boston, and one in my room near Boston College.  Husband decided to let me sleep one day, and we went to see the statue of Liberty.  We didn't want to do a ferry or anything, so we just went to Battery Park around 5:30pm.  No big deal.  But, it was DARK.  REALLY, REALLY DARK.  Husband heard a rustle in the bushes.  I knew it was a rat, but I let Husband believe it was a squirrel. As he is snapping pictures of the Statue, the rats began to run in herds.  I'm serious.  All their little eyes showing in the bushes, like deer eyes here.  They just ran everywhere.  Across the sidewalk in front of us, behind us, everywhere.  I freaked the fuck out. I started running and screaming out of Battery Park.  Husband, who never really saw them at this point, didn't understand.  And, then he did.  We got into the light and the subway station safe and sound.  So, my only memory of the Statue of Liberty is of the rats.”

We got on the subway, and I worked to convince Wife to continue on the outing rather than run back to the hotel. We got off at a stop near Chinatown, and although I knew what street we were looking for and had a good mental map in my head, the thing about coming up from underground is you have no idea which direction you are going until you can confirm it by walking a block in one direction. After that block, and walking past a dozen shops where people were hard selling purses, scarves, perfume and watches, I wanted to look at the map to confirm the direction. Wife said under no circumstances was I to pull out the map. We then fought for about 6 blocks, just walking along until some street name looked familiar, but none did, and I wasn’t allowed to pull a map out because if SVU and the media has taught us anything about New York, it’s that if you look like a tourist, you will get mugged, raped, and stabbed. Wife had correlated me looking at a map and getting stabbed, on a well lit street, with lots of people around. I couldn’t convince her otherwise. Finally, she stopped, cried, I consoled, we looked at the map, and we had been walking in the exact opposite direction we needed to go.

We started back, I apologized profusely, she continued freaking out about getting stabbed because who the hell knows what neighborhoods are safe at night? Then, like a switch, we entered Little Italy, and she was at peace. She was back among her people in the North End of Boston, another heavily Italian place where she lived for two years. We found Lombardi’s pizza place and had dinner of half meatball, half prociutto pizza with fresh mozzarella baked in a wood oven. We found a wonderful italian bakery and took home mini cannolis and tarts. 




Next time: Part 4 – life among the 1 percenters.

No comments:

Post a Comment