Sunday, May 27, 2012

Yesterday I became an accidental hero


Yesterday I was at an art exhibit to be inspired and write about it for a freelance opportunity. I looked at art for about 3 hours, and it was all wonderful. By the end, I had a strong thesis rolling around in my head and several pieces picked out to help exemplify and expound on that thesis while deepening it.

There's a lot of construction going on in Minneapolis right now, which made getting to the place something of an adventure as primary, secondary and tertiary streets were blocked off. In the end, I just had to keep the general direction of the gallery in my head while driving and just keep turning the car in that direction until construction turned me another way and I spiraled my way there.

The coolest thing, though, was while I was watching the last video installation, I could hear the weather sirens going off. I decided to head out, and by the time I got outside, the sirens were off. I walked up three flights of stairs in the parking garage (also under construction for each floor above floor three). I opened the door and about 30 feet away, a very large black bird, a raven or crow, saw me and started to take off with something in its mouth.

The raven dropped whatever it was carrying, I guess thinking I was too much of a threat to keep holding on to lunch.

The thing dropped two feet to the parking lot ground.

It got up. It was a tiny bird.

It also flew away, the other direction, while about a dozen of its friends and relatives went after the raven, shooing it away out of the parking lot.

I sort of felt like a hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment