Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Target Clerk Dipshit Conundrum

I don’t know what it is with me and clerks. Maybe it’s just that I have more contact with them in usual life. I have another short anecdote about a clerk. It may not be as embarrassing as the “I love you” incident, or as fascinating as the “trapped in the car wash” scene, but its up in my top five cause it happened a week ago and I still can’t shake it.

So wife got this lovely shirt for me for my birthday. The T-shirt is run of the mill screen print with this design on the front:


And that’s it. I love it and wear it on weekends. What’s really nice is I get compliments on it from fellow fans of the Doctor. That’s right, random strangers stop me and tell me, Nice shirt! One of my coworkers squealed in delight when I wore it on casual Friday, the other two had no idea what the big deal was or really heard of the show.

That’s all preamble to the following conversation had at Target last week. I was wearing the shirt. I was with the Wife, and we were checking out with a small hand cart full of items. The line below is when I slip between what was actually said, and what happened subsequently in my head. Enjoy.

Clerk: What’s with the shirt?

Me: Hmm?

Clerk: What’s the deal with the shirt?

Me: Oh, it’s just a show.

Clerk: I get that, the Daleks and all, but what’s the deal with it?

Me: Um, it’s just the Daleks crossing Abbey Road.

Clerk: Yeah, so, is there a point to it?

Me: Um, well, I think it’s just mashing two well known British icons together into one image.

Clerk: Huh. Whatever. I don’t see redfoot. Where’s redfoot?

Me: Um, I don’t know.

Me: Listen here you dickwad. I love that we live in this new internet age where you don’t have to feel bad for having a hobby and apparently feel that no one can love something as much as you. You remind me of  a hipster version of simpsons comic book guy, and you need to take down the superiority a notch. Really, it’s a show, I like it, I wear a shirt to display that appreciation, which is the only shirt I own with anything, not even a logo, on it (besides the subsequently bought tshirt with a Sherlock design). Just because someone doesn’t go through the trouble of learning every fuckiing nuance of a decades old tv show doesn’t make them less than you in whatever fucked up version of reality you live in. There’s no mystery to the shirt, it’s a mashup of two images. That’s it. No mystery to solve. No clever little Easter eggs for only the “true” fan to appreciate. What you see is what you get. Now go choke on a fucking adipose  you twat.


Me: have a good night.

Clerk: (shrugs and turns to next customer)

5 comments:

  1. (1) Love the shirt! Was it a teefury shirt?
    (2) I don't get what's so confusing about it. The design is simple and recognisable, and it's funny. Why does there have to be a bigger existential meaning?
    (3) I don't get the redfoot reference. What the hell is he talking about? I even googled it and got nothing. All I can think of when I think of "redfoot" is that guy from The Usual Suspects, which has nothing to do with either Abbey Road or Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1: Wife got it off a site called fictionaltees.com but they have since gone out of business :( but I have seen the design elsewhere. She got the Sherlock shirt from redbubble.com
      2: Me neither. Wife and I were both like, what the hell dude.
      3: No idea. I might have heard it wrong. Could have been red(fill in the blank). I don't know. Didn't care to ask him to clarify and thereby make him feel superior about anything. He already had enough of that.

      Delete
  2. Which leads me to the question: if a tree falls in the forest, and it lands on a self-superior asshole, does his still brag about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record, I "got" the t-shirt. Because about a year ago I watched all the "new" Dr. Who's. I'm not in the dark anymore! Yeah!

    bh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! You are ahead of wife. It's like pulling teeth to get her to watch episodes she hasn't seen, and she even said she would in her wedding vows! Ha.

      The struggle is half the fun tho. :)

      Delete