Thursday, June 6, 2013

Edina Art Fair

On Sunday, I got wife up after finishing my weekend editing job. It felt like giving my executioner the syringe, after filling it and spiking a vein. It was the dreaded Edina art festival.

The festival so big we parked a mile away and took the bus they had just for this event.



This sort of crowd is my nightmare. It's also interesting to count how many 
people will look at a camera in a crowd in you hold it over your head.

The first few booths near the bus did not portend well. Filled with enormous, like ridiculously enormous metal animals that moved. I couldn't see this sort of thing working anywhere except a school maybe, if they could get the safety permits.


And the next booth had what I would definitely categorize as a "craft" in that it sucked. I don't see the difference between this and a kid's store.

But then things turned around. They started turning at the booth of Bob Wilfong, whose bronze sculptures were accompanied by poems. These sculptures were colorful and exuded a peaceful vibe that was hard to ignore. It made me feel a bit less crabby and able to start enjoying the art fair. 
Pictures just don't do this justice, much like any really interesting art. You can see more of it here, but I'm telling you, the way the colors shimmer in the light, and undertones seem to float beneath the surface of the bronze, it's just magic. 

Here's some other booths that caught my attention: 


 I love the way these mechanical people are crammed to the brim with personality. Somehow they break through the "Craft" designation I've created in my head and cross the line into, if not art, interesting.



Also, there were a lot of photography booths filled with highly photoshopped pieces ready to print and sell, which annoys me for some reason even though I know people gotta make a living. But this photo place caught my attention. They don't photoshop, they shoot with the full moon, and they use color strobes to paint interiors of long-forgotten buildings on little traveled highways. Seriously, tour their site, it's pretty cool. They are newcomers on the art fair scene, so keep an eye out. I think they got an award at the Edina fair. For some reason, I don't like to take pictures of photography, so you'll have to look them up.

I also wrote down Abby Lingle Pottery in my notebook, but can't remember why. The pottery on her site is pretty dang slick though.

Truthfully, there was a lot of good work going on at this fair, much more so than the previous day's excursion. But the environments couldn't be more different. Whereas the small fair on Saturday was in a clearly welcoming neighborhood, Wife and I couldn't help but feel out of place in this Edina hotspot. Edina is one of the most affluent suburbs of Minnesota, and the surrounding shops, none of which wife or I could afford to frequent ever, made us feel rather small and unwelcome, like a mechanical robot hanging on a wall just looking for some acceptance. As we took a breather, I mentioned that for a while, I was worried about losing my wallet to a pickpocket in this crowd, but then I remembered I was wearing a Doctor Who shirt and we were surrounded by people wearing suit vests. I was not the preferred target of anyone looking to score by pickpocketing.

Also, there was a booth where you could win 3,000 dollars worth of plastic surgery. That says a lot about Edina.


Wife felt it too, and said one of the best things I've ever heard he say "I think this summer project might backfire. I'm going to start hating these things as much as you if we keep this pace up."

We didn't buy anything this time cause we're broke as shit again until wife lands her job. So we were looky-loos, which is fine by me. After the food we got, we went home with 36 bucks to our name until Wednesday when wife's unemployment came in again. Yay capitalism.

Before boarding the bus to get back to our car, we stopped at a lemonade stand and a food stand for something called "the Fonz" burger. It had cheese curds on it. CHEESE CURDS. We also got cheese curds as a side.  And yes, that menu says they have an item called the DEUCE. Naming your fries after what is also a common term for private business is not the best idea, folks.


Cheese curds, and bacon, on a burger. Is this heaven?


2013 Lemonade count: 5
2013 Cheese Curd Tally: 2.5 (cause the burger had some)

No comments:

Post a Comment